I guess it's unreasonable if you are a snorer and don't try to do anything about it. However, everyone has the right to a sound sleep. On the other hand, it's also unreasonable to be angry at a snorer who does try and still snores. I fall into this later category in that I have been very unreasonable with my husband who is trying his hardest to cure his snoring (sleep positions, mouth guard, nose strips, surgery to be considered).
Snoring can lead to emotional issues (taken from the interweb):
- lack of sleep, leading to depression and anxiety
- marital breakdown and divorce, due to lack of sleep and lack of empathy (remember, the snoring partner doesn’t often know the pain that they are unwittingly causing!)
- eviction by a landlord and the resulting humiliation (this may sound funny, but some people have literally been kicked out of their homes because of their snoring!)
- warring roommates and neighbors
- job loss, due to inability to concentrate and focus (because of sleeplessness)
- memory and retention problems due to sleeplessness
These can lead to the following states for both the snorer and his partner:
- feelings of violence
- growing resentment
- lack of confidence and self-esteem
There is also a long list of physical issues. But I'm feeling emotional at the mo so that's where I'm concentrating. Lately I've been feeling a fair few of the emotional states. The sleep deprivation has of course been worsened by the tod having a cold and needing night time cuddles etc.
Thing is...and here is my very guilty little secret. I snore too. Unlike my husband I've not done much to address that. So it turns out, I'm the unreasonable one. That's going to change. I'm going to lose weight (after Easter eggs have all been consumed) and get a humidifier and try to ensure my nasal passages are lubricated. There are many non surgical techniques to try and we'll keep going to we find one that works. And then maybe we will all get a bit of rest round here.
It's certainly not grounds for a divorce. We have our 2nd year anniversary next week and I hope there will be many more.