Saturday 18 February 2012

It's a wild life

There are a lot of birds in this area probably because we live quite close to Almondell and Calderwood country park. So a few weeks ago, tot and I went off to the local chain DIY store and bought some cheap bird feeders. I decided to buy a pack of 3 feeders which came packed with peanuts, sunflower seeds and mixed seeds - I wasn't sure what the birds around here eat. Our neighbour gets regular visitors for the peanuts they put out. I put up the sunflower seed one to give a bit of variety. And for weeks we had NO visitors. The birds continued to go next door. Then all of sudden I noticed some sort of yellow breasted bird hopping about the feeder, making sure he was safe, then swiftly grabbing a seed to take to a nearby branch and munch. Wooohoooo success. Since then, we have put up an apple dotted with some seeds (rather than throw it out) which the birds are munching on too. A couple have also been sniffing around an old bird box attached to our shed. I was going to clean it out until I discovered that it's only legal to do so between August and January. I hope the couple will nest in it and I cross all my fingers there are no parasites to attack their little babies and that the mould inside the shed doesn't extend to this bird box.


No comments: