Monday 25 January 2010

Burns night

One of the best things about marrying someone from another culture is that you can enjoy their holidays/festivals too. Tonight is Burns Night. I couldn't bring myself to get a haggis though I am not averse to neeps and tatties. We are having lentils tonight (an ingredient in haggis) but it's asian style not scottish!
On Friday watching a program about the bard, I heard a poem. Burns wrote it about someone he was separated from. I'm dedicating this to my hubby as it expresses how I feel when he goes off to work! (I've made a slight amendment for obvious reasons)

O my Luve's like a red, red rose,
That's newly sprung in June:
O my Luve's like the melodie,
That's sweetly play'd in tune.

As fair art thou, my bonie [lad],
So deep in luve am I;
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
Till a' the seas gang dry.

Till a' the seas gang dry, my dear,
And the rocks melt wi' the sun;
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
While the sands o' life shall run.

And fare-thee-weel, my only Luve!
And fare-thee-weel, a while!
And I will come again, my Luve,
Tho' 'twere ten thousand mile!

No comments: