Sunday 21 February 2010

Burglaries...beware?

A policewoman shoved a card through our door on Friday. It was about a rise in burglaries on our street and some advice about locks, property marking and alarms.
At first I went into panic stations - one of our neighbours had recently had their door kicked in during broad daylight and their laptop nicked so obviously I started imagining all sorts of scenarios where we are robbed blind. He was robbed in broad daylight. All us over the garden fence types later reasoned this was just a cheeky opportunist but later hubby told me that some one further down our street had been burgled.
I've only been burgled once in my life and the sods took a very precious necklace that dad gave to me for my 16th. Since then, every time I walk out the house, I take a few things that mean nothing to anyone but me but which I would be devastated to lose.
Recently I looked on the new whizzy police map that shows crime in the area. Our street was not much higher than the average. So I hope this card posting is all just scaremongering on the part of the police but in case it's not, it's a timely reminder to make sure you double lock the door when going out, don't leave any windows open and to mark our property.

No comments: