Monday 2 May 2011

Life in the old dog yet

A year ago, I remember asking Mr Plummy what this recession lark was all about - neither we or anyone we knew had been affected.
Last November, Mr Plummy rang to tell me he had been made redundant. He would be able to work until Feb. Feb came and he went. This wasn't really to do with the recession but more to do with the dangers of working for a global organisation that can easily move work to another country (in this case China)(see note below). This sent me into a bit of a panic as most people who know, know it's very hard to get a job in IT after the age of 40. Quite a few friends who were made redundant from Sony Ericcsson took ages to find work.
There is also the adage that it's easier to find a job when you had a job.
Luckily, hubby had a lot of interviews while still in work but after he left that slowed down.
There was an interview in East Kilbride - let me tell you in no uncertain terms, I will not live there. Horrid town (sorry if you are from there, didn't see much didn't want to).
I crossed all my fingers for work down here. I also faced the rather unpleasant realisation that I am not going to get a UI job anytime soon. 4 years out of the mobile world is a looooong time even if the skills I possess are strong and IMHO transferable - if you don't know the ins/outs of Apple OS, Android and Windows Mobile UI, you might as well be dead.
Interviews that he thought went well ended up in nothing.
I panicked some more a la a headless chicken but he remained calm.
His calm has eventually paid off as he had now got a job. Yippee I hear you cheer (at least I hope you are cheering).
The only thing, dear readers, is that this is a bit out of the commuter zone as it's in Central Scotland. So for the next few months, I'll be running around getting our house ready for rental whilst trying to find somewhere to live up there, and then we will be gone. The plan had always been to move to Scotland, but I just didn't think it would be so soon and I'm really sad to be going just as so much is happening in this Royal Borough. I'm also going to be very sad to leave the lovely virtual people I have met and hope that I will be able to keep up with all their posts from afar.
Anyway, lets put the hankies away. I'm here for some time yet and I will try to be less lazy about posting.

NOTE BELOW:
This morning I read the Chinese government are encouraging their citizens to be more creative. This sends shivers down my spine as in IT, most of the design jobs stayed in Europe whilst the day to day dev went to China. If design goes out there, what work if any will be left here :(

3 comments:

Lucia said...

Crikey what a lot to take in. Very glad for you that he has a job now. Best of luck with packing and all that malarkey. I hope you feel calmer and calmer as time goes on. Maybe even excited soon :)
Hugs to you.

Plummy Mummy said...

Thanks Lucia,
I am very very excited esp as Scotland is the home of wool craft as far as I'm concerned so our house will be covered in crochet and knit.

Doctor Pangloss said...

It's very strange how you only know someone in the virtual world, then they move away in the real world, but you still feel they're gone and that's the end. You could've blogged from Vanuatu or anywhere for that matter. Do keep blogging from your new home.

You'll be missed in The Shire.

Pangloss