Thursday 20 May 2010

Wenlock and Mandeville

I am trying to love the Olympics. Trying to be proud they are going to be held in London. But gosh sometimes it's hard.
For one, I wish it was a UK Olympics, not just London, something we could all get behind (like England in the World Cup).
Then there was the whole logo stuff...I just didn't get it. I thought it was ugly in the extreme.
Then there is the tower of steel that serves no real purpose and in this day of recycle, reuse blah blah, it seems an awful waste of metal.
Then there are the speed restrictions along the North Circular near the stadiums. Probably a good thing as people slow down to look at the construction. Me, I wonder why they have such huge car parks if they are trying to encourage people to go via public transport.
So yesterday when I saw the new mascots Wenlock and Mandeville, I tried to keep an open mind. I'm still trying. I suppose in the future tot may ask for the dolls but so far it's not made me love the Olympics anymore.
The funny thing is that even though I don't watch football, don't know a stuff about the game, I'll be watching England play all their World Cup games because I know it's about the game and not the pomp, circumstance or guff.

No comments: