Saturday 29 September 2012

It's ALIVE

I had my first proper ukulele lesson today. A few years ago someone had tried to give me a lesson. It did not go too well and so with a heavy heart, I put the thing back in it's case and on top of the bureau. Each time we have moved, it's always been put in that same place. It's so sad to own an instrument for over 2 years and not play it.
Anyway, fast forward to this morning. A bunch of us in a freezing cold grim late 1970's school music room in West Edinburgh. First we tuned by ear. We were assured that we would soon learn how to do this well (note that we didn't do too well but it was only our first lesson). Then we learnt some chords.The teacher is very good and very encouraging, and luckily for me very tolerant of nervous wise cracks. We even did three songs. I cannot wait until the next lesson. I better practice as he assures us that while he can show us how to play, only we can really teach ourselves. I loved it.

P.S. Can someone remind me to chop my nails before I have a go again. It was a bit torturous trying to do chords with my claws out!

1 comment:

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

Best of luck with the Uke. It's very popular here in NZ for some strange reason.
I'm sorry, I'm not trying to dis your choice of musical instrument, but every time I think of a ukulele, I think of Tiny Tim.