Wednesday 14 April 2010

Little Miss Sunshine

Little miss sunshine... brilliant film and also a nice name of the Mr and Mrs type of character.
I loved that film because the little girl stood up for what she was.
Yesterday, I was out shopping in Matalan and H&M. There are a lot of outfits in there that my tot will NEVER be seen in. She also won't have her ears pierced until she's old enough to decide for herself, nor wear make up.
She's happy in jogging pants or dresses and just wants to play. Ideally I'd like her to be able to play outside all the time, but these days, supervision is better.
As her mum, I have a big say in what she wears and what I buy for her. And as I won't buy her clothes that I deem too old for her, I am a firm believer in consumer power.
As such, I am really like the Mumsnet campaign to Let Girls be Girls. This is trying to end the premature sexualisation of young girls.
And Yippee to Primark for removing a padded bikini targeted to toddlers. Dumb nuts shouldn't have had the thing in their shops in the first place but well done for removing it (somehow cynical me thinks that ismore to do with poor sales than bowing to consumer pressure, but hey ho, the thing is gone)

No comments: